Duties & Responsibilities: (Essential Functions of Position, Major Responsibilities, Summary of Key Duties, Special Assignments, Relationships)
· Establish and maintain a system of financial accounting consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
· Keep abreast of new developments in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for governments and schools, and all applicable federal, state and local laws governing financial reporting requirements
· Coordinate the budget development and fiscal planning activities of the district including the preparation of all budget documents including the annual budget and budget amendment for certification and board approval
· Administer and monitor the budget, including administration of FTE budget on positions in the district’s business software
· Prepare district Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and file with appropriate authorities and submit to GFOA and ASBO for award
· Serve as liaison between the district and the Board of Education
· Provide leadership and general supervision of the following departments: Financial Services, Management Information Services
· Provide leadership and general supervision of Student Account Manager, including student fee software
· Provide leadership and general supervision of budget specialists for categorical funds and associated reports.
· Develop, maintain and monitor internal audit and control procedures, maintain compliance with all financial reporting requirements and insure that audited financial report accurately present the financial position of the District.
· Supervise and ensure the timely preparation and filing of all required financial reports; local, state and federal.
· Oversee preparation of monthly financial statements, present to the Board of Education and post on District website.
· Participate in and provide data for negotiations of collected bargaining agreements.
· Prepare data for administrator and non-bargaining salary matrixes.
· Oversee District-wide Request for Proposal process.
· Administer School Budget Review Committee process.
· Assist in planning and analyzing proposals for outsourcing of services.
· Administer and provide oversight to District Purchasing Card program.
· Administer and update information for State sponsored 403(b) program.
· Review and prepare all contracts for Board president or Board of Education approval and signature.
· Oversee financial requirements and reporting for Graduation Alliance contract.
· Administer and monitor District-wide fee structure and recommend updates as needed.
· Negotiate and review contractual and 28e agreements on behalf of the District.
· Direct all financing and cash management requirements of the District including the sale of bonds, anticipatory warrants and investment of reserve funds.
· Establish, implement and update District’s Cash Handling Manual.
· Supervise, monitor, and negotiate liability insurances for District.
· Administer the District’s equipment breakdown insurance program.
· In conjunction with the Employee Benefits Specialist, provide oversight of the various District benefit programs and work with consultants on contract renewals.
· Participate in organization and planning of voter tax levies: secure and Advanced Vision for Education (SAVE) and Physical Plant & Equipment Levy (PPEL).
· Serve as member of Superintendent’s Cabinet, Resource Allocation Committee, and Long Range Facility Planning Team.
· Meet the Six Standards for School Leaders as described by the Iowa Department of Education.
· Maintain Iowa School Business Official authorization.
· Maintain membership in IASBO.
· Establish and maintain positive working relationship with the Superintendent and the District’s Board of Directors.
· Good attendance and punctuality are a must to ensure that the duties and responsibilities of the job are performed successfully.
· Successful candidate must possess strong inter-personal skills with a proven record of building rapport with culturally diverse students to ensure each child reaches his/her full potential.
· Must be willing to support and implement Davenport’s multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS) for both behavior and academics.
Physical Requirements of Position: (HBV Yes No)
1. Must be able to sit for extended length of time.
2. Must be able to climb stairs, lift, push, pull and drag up to 50 lbs.
Special Qualification Desired: (Personal Qualities, Education, Skills Needed, Experience, Etc.)
1. Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance and/or Business including six credit hours of accounting.
2. Possess or ability to qualify for Iowa School Business Official Authorization.
3. At least two years of experience supervising and evaluating direct reports.
4. Experience training administrators and managers on business financial practices.
5. Willingness to work outside of normal business hours.
6. Interpersonal skills that exhibit friendliness, tact, patience and courtesy.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
8. Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills.
9. Proficient in use of technology (e.g. Microsoft office products, e-mail, copier/scanner and telephone.)
10. Must be flexible and adaptable to meet the daily requirements of the position.
11. Ability to work independently and in a team environment with accuracy and with attention to detail.
12. Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness or acquire these skills.
13. Ability to problem solve independently and with others, take initiative, and work independently without supervision.
14. Capacity to represent the District in a professional manner, which includes but not limited to confidentiality, collegiality, and the ability to obtain and utilize additional training, if necessary.
Internal Number: 7881
About Davenport Community School District
Chief Financial Officer with Davenport Community School District