Portland Public Schools envisions every student, every teacher, every school succeeding. As we commit to a major transformation under new, nationally-recognized leadership, we are actively seeking talented, driven professionals who are energized by big challenges. If you are solution-oriented, a strong communicator and collaborator, and passionate about urban education, then this is the place for you! Read more about PPS, our schools and programs, and beautiful Portland, Oregon, at the bottom of the posting.
We are seeking a Chief Financial Officer to join our Business and Operations team. The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for managing, directing and integrating a full spectrum of broad and comprehensive financial services for Portland Public School District, providing expertise, leadership and guidance to division staff. This role will lead several key functions: General Ledger Accounting, Grant Accounting, Treasury, Accounts Payable and Receivable, Budgeting, Planning & Analysis, Payroll, Financial Systems and Purchasing & Contracting. Of paramount importance in this role is the responsibility to build strong team relationships and develop Business and Operations staff. Further, this leader will be responsible for ensuring that district funds are managed effectively and accurately reported, and also that the district is in compliance with all local, state and federal laws relating to Finance, Accounting and Purchasing.
As the Chief Financial Officer, some of your responsibilities will include:
* Inspire excellence, demonstrate leadership and build team collaboration both within Business and Operations and across the District.
* Work with staff to develop performance goals and then support and monitor staff as they work toward those goals. Evaluate performance and provide regular feedback.
* Partner with Deputy Superintendent of Business and Operations and other Business and Operations Leaders to develop and deliver strategic objectives for the Business and Operations function.
* Direct staff in the performance and completion of analysis, measurement and reporting of financial and operational activities within the General Ledger Accounting, Grant Accounting, Treasury, Accounts Payable and Receivable, Budgeting, Planning & Analysis, Payroll, Financial Systems and Purchasing & Contracting teams.
* Develop, monitor and/or lead implementation of policy, process and systems for improving outcomes and the performance of individuals and teams within the Business and Operations Function.
* Oversee and ensure preparation of a variety of financial and operational records and statements for internal, external and public reporting.
* Serve as Finance, Accounting and Contracting expert for school and district leaders as well as the Business and Operations function.
* Provide testimony to the Portland Public Schools Board as appropriate on matters relating to Finance, Accounting and Contracting.
* Ensure that the District is in compliance with all local, state and federal laws relating to Finance, Accounting and Contracting.
* Demonstrate a commitment to Equity at Portland Public Schools through all actions.
* Other duties as assigned.
The strongest candidates will have:
* Proven ability to influence and develop strong working relationships with multiple partners, including leaders, peers, and external stakeholders
* Strategic thinking capability paired with the ability to motivate others
* Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative teams and mentor personnel
* Demonstrated ability to deliver excellence in the fields of Finance and Accounting through large teams in complex environments
* Ability to develop consistency of process while demonstrating in an environment of transformation and change
* Familiarity with the structures and systems of pre-K-12 environment
5+ years leading teams of Finance and Accounting and professionals
* 10 or more years of experience working in complex Finance and Accounting environments preferably in public organizations
* Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Statistics or related field
* Certification appropriate to the designated disciplines, such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant preferred
* Any commensurate combination of skills, education, and experience
Any other combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the candidate is likely to possess the skill, knowledge, ability and trait characteristics essential for this classification may be considered.
Internal Number: 18237
About Portland Public Schools
Welcome to Portland Public Schools
Equity and Excellence: Every student, every teacher, every school succeeding.
Mission: Every student by name prepared for college, career and participation as an active community member, regardless of race, income or zip code.
Portland Public Schools, founded in 1851, is a PK-12 urban school district in Portland, Oregon. With more than 49,000 students in 78 schools, it is one of the largest school districts in the Pacific Northwest.
With highly trained teachers and staff; an engaged parent community; strong partnerships, and a focus on closing the racial educational achievement gap, PPS is at its highest graduation rate in at least 15 years and is enjoying its seventh straight year of enrollment growth. Thanks to the state Legislature, school funding is improving and thanks to Portland voters, a PPS School Building Improvement Bond is now fueling the modernization of our aging school buildings for 21st century learning.
Career Learning: PPS has more than doubled Career Technical Education offerings in recent years, which show a direct link to its rising graduation rate.
Language Immersion: The district's growing Dual Lang...uage Immersion program is closing the racial educational achievement gap and improving reading achievement in native and non-native speakers alike, according to a 2015 national study. One in 10 PPS students is in an immersion program.
Early Childhood Education: The district has launched an early learning hub model in which Headstart and community partners offer pre-school and culturally relevant instruction as well as parenting support for families. The PPS Clarendon Regional Early Learning Academy will soon be followed by a similar model in partnership with NAYA Family Center at the former PPS Foster site.
The Arts: The Portland Arts Tax now guarantees arts education for all elementary students and is fueling the alignment of K through 12 programs in such disciplines as orchestra and dance.
Athletics: The Portland Interscholastic League has expanded into the middle grades with its Youth Sports Program, building strong athletic programs from 6th through 12th grade.